Paxton Maroney’s surreal photography invites the outside world to step inside snapshots of her dreams. For several years, she has woken up from vivid dreams, often in the middle of the night, and drawn the images composed on the backs of her eyelids. At times, she even engages in lucid dreaming throughout the day as she’s “trained her brain” to create new chimera for her
portraiture. Then, when she has scouted out the perfect location, she begins reconstructing the scenes of her subliminal imagination.
Since she was a young girl, Paxton has been preoccupied with the habits and inclinations of an artist. Growing up, she was shy and quiet and preferred spending her time drawing her favorite cartoons and coloring with her crayola caddy gifted to her by her parents in the 1980s. As she was never a very social person, even after graduation and into college, art has always been an outlet for Paxton. While she wishes she’d taken more art classes throughout her education, her pursuit of a degree in landscape architecture from Texas A&M enabled her to enroll in everything from architecture drawing to writing to a watercolor class she took in Italy in 1999.
She began entering open shows as a painter in the mid 2000s, until, with a simple gesture, her means of expression took a turn. In 2008, she was gifted her first DSLR camera, and her entire world changed. At this time, she had already been working as a retoucher for an established photographer, studying and practicing retouching people. And as she grew more skilled, she realized retouching would enable her to do whatever she wanted with photography. Now, photography is her primary medium, and she is entirely self taught – something she says she cherishes, as it forces her to constantly study the dynamic artform. At the end of the day, she doesn’t see her shift from painting to photography as much of a change at all beyond the learning curve. As the medium is forever changing and progressing, she is eagerly and forever learning.
To Paxton, dreams aren’t so much stories as they are symbolic images that tend to hold deep meaning for the dreamer. But don’t bother asking her what her art means… she’d rather you step inside and find the meaning for yourself.
I am a Conceptual Fine Art Photographer. My work tends to lean towards the surreal which is contrived from my dreams. I try to work organically when shooting, but stick to the ideas that have been ingrained in my head since the conception of that piece. I strive to portray a stillness in my work, even if there is movement involved - unimaginable movement sometimes. My influences are varied which include music, nature and scripture, each of which significantly informs the process of my art creation. My photographic work employs constructed photographic images modified with digital editing. I like to describe my work as “painting with photographs.” I tend to focus on a subject in a unique environment that tells a story, though I have started to move from a human subject to more installations and sculptures.
Exhibitions and Events:
- Solo exhibition at Jen Mauldin Gallery, Dallas. Title: Reverie February 4th-27th 2017
- Artist representation Jen Mauldin Gallery 408 N. Bishop, Suite 103, Dallas, Texas 75208
- TVAA National Competition and Exhibit artist. Dec.5-28th 2016 Mesquite Arts Center 1527 North Galloway Avenue
Mesquite, TX 75149 (Dec 8 5pm - 7pm Reception and awards presentation)
- Virtual to Actual 5 artist at Viridian Artists. September 27th-October 15th 2016 548 W 28th St #632, New York, NY 10001
- Selected Artist for Axis Gallery’s 11th National Juried Exhibition, Sacramento, CA. Artist Reception August 13th 2016
- Selected Artist for Third Annual Artspace111 Regional Juried Exhibition, Exhibition on Display | June 24 – August 6, 2016
- Art Conspiracy ANONYMOUS Saturday, June 4, 2016 7:00 – 11:00 pm LIFE in Deep Ellum 2803 Taylor St. Dallas, TX 75226
- Fractal Logic 3 exhibition artist at Kettle Art in Deep Ellum Dallas. Opening March 24, 2016
- Art Con 11 Artist. Auction is Saturday, November 14, 2015 WHERE: 1450 Browder Street, Dallas, TX 75215
- KXT 91.7 selected artist for Fall Fundraiser
- Selected Artist with Peter Miller Fine Art 2nd Open Call Juried Photography Exhibition
October 15 – November 14, 2015
Jurored by Paula Tognarelli, Executive Director and Curator of the Griffin Museum of Photography.
Opening Reception Thursday October 15, 2015
- The Beginning | Aiden's Dream and The Veil were selected in The Dreamers Collection by See Me's Exposure Award and is available for purchase here (http://www.peecho.com/…/…/136584-The%20Dreamers%20Collection)
The photography presented within this collection was honoured at a private reception at the Louvre Museum, in Paris, July 13th, 2015. Honored my work was chosen and featured today, August 27th 2015, at the intro to the collection online. Thank you See Me!
- Directors Choice Award Viridian Artists’ 26th International Juried Competition June 30 – July 18, 2015
- Selected artist at FRONT Art Space | OPEN15 Publication | June 18th - July 2nd 2015 Location: TriBeCa - 118 chambers st. NY, NY, 10007.
- Selected Artist for Art Conspiracy SKEWED, a live art auction of work from 40+ curated artists selected to create and auction their art based on this years inspiration of skewing concepts and ideas. June 6, 7pm-11pm
- Sweetwater Center for the Arts: selected artist for Shaping New Worlds Exhibition with Juror Lori Kella. A National Exhibition of Constructed Photography. Opening Reception is Friday, April 10th, 6-9pm Exhibition Dates: April 10th - June 13th 2015 Reception held in conjunction with the Sewickley Spring Gallery and Art Walk
- The Center for Fine Art Photography: selected artist for H2O (Water) Exhibition with Juror Dina Mitrani and awarded Hamidah Glasgow's Director's Honorable Mention for works titled "Self-Reflection" April 24, 2015 - May 30, 2015
- Artist in the LOCAL Spring Art Exhibition at the UT Southwestern Medical Center Library. Reception March 5, 2015
- NYC4PA New York Center for Photographic Art Honorable Mention in the Portraits 2014 Call for Entry. Artwork titled "Allena" was selected by juror Ellen Denuto to be included in the online gallery and the catalog.
- NYC4PA New York Center for Photographic Art Honorable Mention in the Black and White 2014 Call for Entry.
Artwork titled "Serendipity" was selected by juror Dan Burkholder to be included in the online gallery and the catalog.
- Featured Artist small works – BIG TALENT Las Laguna Gallery December 4th thru December 27th
- Solo Exhibition in Arlington, TX at The Upstairs Gallery Nov. 1st-25th.
- Fall Gallery Night 2014 at The Upstairs Gallery, Arlington, TX
- New Texas Talent XXI at Craighead Green, Dallas, TX
- Awarded by See | Me, artwork entitled Waters Edge, featured in Times Square, taking over the entire 25-story-tall billboard on July 26th, 2014.
- Paxton was one of the featured artists in the White Linen Dallas Exhibition benefiting the Bridge May 15th, 2014